Friday, January 3, 2014

Goals for 2014

"This is your life are you who you wanna be..." (Switchfoot)

There has never been a time in my life when I have been more thankful for a new year and fresh start than now. Last year was one of the busiest I have ever had. Involved in everything, but doing my best in nothing. Busyness without productivity. Time was stretched thin, and I was stretched thin. Just a make it to the next thing, I thought. Cross it off the to do list.

I remember one instance in December shutting myself in our half bath, near tears and ready to breakdown. I thought, I don't have time to deal with this, and then continued into the chaos. There were many prayers to God that involved me saying words like "overwhelmed" and "quit." I'm sure my patient and understanding husband got tired of me saying, "I can't take this anymore." I don't mean to sound like a basket case, because I am not normally like this, but I'm just being honest. There are some people that thrive on being busy. They have an overloaded calendar, run on five hours of sleep a night, and love it.

Obviously I am not one of those people.

There were a few times that ministry activities were canceled due to weather and other reasons. I was glad. Glad and guilty. It was not a good place to be in, and I knew it.  Thankfully, God is merciful and doesn't give us more than we can handle (although sometimes it feels like it), and gave me times of refreshing just when I thought I was at the end.

I have made it out of 2013 alive, and my biggest goal is to make sure I don't have another year where I am always "at the end." I want to live, not just endure each day going from one task to the next, feeling like a robot. I am confident that if I learn to say no, set priorities and clear goals, then this can be the best year ever.

Here are the other goals that I have set for 2014:

1. Work out to Jillian Michaels "30 Day Shred" DVD four times a week.
2. Finish reading the Bible in a year.
3. Write three blog posts a week.
4. Wake up at 5:00 every day for 30 days (going to try to make this a habit).

There are a couple of other goals I have related to my walk with God that are a little more personal, so I will wait until the end of the year to share how those went with you. I will also write a little more on goal setting later, so look for the posts! Every Saturday I will post my progress as well.



What are your goals for the year? Have you written them down and been very specific? Comment and let me know!

photo credit: <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/venosdale/6156635313/">Krissy.Venosdale</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/">cc</a>


No comments:

Post a Comment